FA charge Newcastle’s Tonali for alleged breach of betting rules

Newcastle United midfielder Sandro Tonali has been charged by the English Football Association (FA) for misconduct relating to alleged breaches of the federation’s betting rules.

“It’s alleged that the Newcastle United midfielder breached FA Rule E8 50 times by placing bets on football matches between 12 August 2023 and 12 October 2023,” the FA said in a statement.

The FA said Tonali has until April 5 to respond to the charges.

Tonali, who joined Newcastle from AC Milan in July last year, had been handed a 10-month suspension from football in October 2023 for betting on matches in Italy following an investigation by prosecutors in Turin.

The 23-year-old’s agent, Giuseppe Riso, had claimed last year that Tonali suffers from a “gambling addiction.”

In a statement on X, Newcastle acknowledged the charges received by Tonali and said the Italy international continues to “fully comply with relevant investigations and he retains the club’s full support.”

Tonali has made 11 appearances for Newcastle in all competitions this season and scored one goal.

The midfielder was the second major player last year to receive a ban for betting on matches after England international Ivan Toney.

The Brentford striker was banned for eight months and fined £50,000($63,165) after admitting to 232 breaches of the FA’s betting rules.

He returned to action in January and earned a call-up to the England squad earlier this month, scoring on his international return against Belgium on Tuesday.

Information from Reuters contributed to this report.