The transfer window for Europe’s biggest clubs is open again. Transfer Talk has been scouring the world’s media and setting our correspondents loose to see who could be heading to/out of your club this month.
TOP STORY: Tottenham weighing up loan offer for Malcom
Injury-hit Tottenham have become the latest side linked with out-of-favour Barcelona forward Malcom.
The Daily Star claim the north Londoners are preparing for a spell without Harry Kane after the striker limped off at the end of Sunday’s defeat to Manchester United with suspected ankle ligament damage, which could keep him out for at least a month. While Son Heung-Min is also out for January playing at the Asian Cup with South Korea.
Spurs expressed interest in Malcom before the Brazilian joined Barca from Bordeaux last summer. However, having failed to make an impact at Camp Nou, the 21-year-old is said to be open to the idea of getting his career back on track elsewhere.
17.44 GMT: Marca reports that Mexico international Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez has agreed personal terms with Valencia, but there’s a stumbling block: West Ham have little interest in selling the forward in January and would prefer a deal go through in the summer — unless Los Che make them an offer they can’t refuse.
16.52 GMT: It is being reported on Sky Sports that West Ham have rejected a €10m bid from Fiorentina for Pedro Obiang.
16.21 GMT: A report in Sportmediaset suggests Genoa will go for Mario Balotelli if AC Milan buy Krzysztof Piatek from them should Chelsea sign Gonzalo Higuain.
Ah, the classic transfer window domino effect.
15.51 GMT: Carlos Queiroz is close to being named the new Colombia manager, the president of the country’s federation has confirmed.
“A deal for Queiroz is close — we have met with him on two occasions and he made a very good impression,” Alvaro Gonzalez told Caracol Radio. “I wanted a Colombian but we don’t have any available.
“It will be sorted by Friday.”
Colombia are looking for a replacement for Jose Pekerman, who left following the 2018 World Cup.
15.27 GMT: Edinson Cavani has said he would be interested signing a new contract at Paris Saint-Germain, but added that there have yet to be any discussions.
“There have been no contract talks yet,” Cavani told Le Parisien. “There is no communication regarding a new deal.
“If PSG want to speak with me about it, fine. However, it would also not be a problem if the club prefer to say ‘thank you very much for everything, goodbye.’
“That is life.”
15.01 GMT: Fiorentina have confirmed a deal to sign 18-year-old Hamed Junior Traore from Empoli has been agreed.
The Ivory Coast midfielder will spend the remainder of the campaign on loan at former side Empoli, who compete in Serie B.
— ACF Fiorentina (@acffiorentina) January 15, 2019
14.27 GMT: Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea is happy to commit his long-term future to the club, sources have told ESPN FC, but the Spain international wants to become one of the club’s highest paid players.
13.58 GMT: Diego Simeone has refused to be drawn on transfer speculation
“I live from training session to training session, game to game, day to day,” Simeone said. “I focus on looking for what can damage Girona [in Copa tomorrow]. Everything else, it will happen whether I analyse it or not, whatever I think, whatever I want. What will be will be. That is our reality.”
The Rojiblancos have been linked with a loan move for Alvaro Morata, while defender Lucas Hernandez is a reported target for Bayern Munich.
13.20 GMT: Arsenal, Liverpool and Barcelona have lost out on a transfer target after Cagliari completed the signing of Polish central defender Sebastian Walukiewicz.
Walukiewicz, 18, has been labelled a “wonderkid” in some quarters and had been previously linked with some of Europe’s biggest clubs.
.@SebaWalukiewicz è rossoblù 🔴🔵
— Cagliari Calcio (@CagliariCalcio) January 15, 2019
12.45 GMT: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s first piece of transfer business at Manchester United could be to oversee two outgoings, with talkSPORT reporting Marouane Fellaini and Scott McTominay could be going out on loan in this transfer window.
The pair were very much Jose Mourinho favourites, but have seen very little first team football since Solskjaer’s arrival.
Fellaini was a regular starter — often in place of Paul Pogba — while Mouinho invented an award called ‘Manager’s Player of the Year’ for McTominay at the end of last season.
“Players are in suits, as Solskjaer wants them to feel they represent United.”
“Fellaini can go, he isn’t happy with his attitude. He’s on borrowed time.”
— talkSPORT (@talkSPORT) January 14, 2019
12.10 GMT: Real Madrid coach Sani Solari has kept coy about the club’s plans to sign a new forward in the wake of Karim Benzema’s injury.
Benzema has become the seventh senior Real Madrid player unavailable for Saturday’s meeting against third place Sevilla at the Bernabeu after he was ruled out with a fractured finger.
“What I always say is that it is not for me to explain the club’s transfer policy,” Solari told a news conference ahead of the Copa del Rey round-of-16 second leg. “The squad we have is marvellous. Lots of young players, lots of experience, and everyone committed.”
Solari also suggested he would not stand in the way should the Bernabeu hierarchy decide to sell currently out-of-favour playmaker Isco.
Serie A champions Juventus are among the teams reportedly considering a move for the Spain international, 26, whose only start for Madrid in the last three months came in early December’s 3-0 Champions League defeat to CSKA Moscow.
Asked whether he as coach would have a problem if Isco was to be sold, Solari limited his reply to: “As you just say, I am just the coach.”
11.30 GMT: Arsenal will be looking for a new goalkeeper after Petr Cech announced his retirement from football at the end of the season.
Cech, 36, has lost his place in Unai Emery’s side to Bernd Leno and has said his 20th campaign as a professional will be his last.
— Petr Cech (@PetrCech) January 15, 2019
The former Czech Republic international, who first moved to English football when he joined Chelsea in 2004, won four Premier League titles, five FA Cups, three Leagues Cups, the Europa League and the Champions League.
The 26-year-old Spain international has fallen out of favour under new Real boss Santiago Solari and has not started a La Liga game since the 5-1 defeat to Barcelona in October before his appointment.
Isco has been repeatedly linked with a move to the Etihad Stadium with reports in Spain claiming that City coach Mikel Arteta made an enquiry about his availability.
But Pep Guardiola has already ruled out making any new signings in the January transfer window and has no interest in signing the attacking midfielder.
10.45 GMT: Crystal Palace are negotiating a loan move for Sao Paulo goalkeeper Lucas Perri, sources have told ESPN Brasil.
The 21-year-old is wanted by the Eagles in a deal that would include an option to sign him in the summer for €4.5m.
10.20 GMT: Fulham are interested in signing versatile West Ham midfielder Michail Antonio, sources have told ESPN FC.
Fulham boss Claudio Ranieri desperately looking to bolster his squad during the January transfer window in order to avoid the relegation.
However, West Ham are determined to keep Antonio at the London Stadium as Manuel Pellegrini consider the 28-year-old a key member of his squad, having started him in 11 Premier League games this season.
09.55 GMT: Sevilla have dropped out of the race to sign Chelsea forward Alvaro Morata, according to the Spanish club’s president Pepe Castro.
Sevilla had expressed an interest in acquiring the Spain international, who has failed to impress under Blues coach Maurizio Sarri.
Morata is a reported target of Atletico Madrid and Barcelona and Castro says other outfits are also interested in signing him.
“Morata was enthusiastic about coming to Sevilla,” Castro told Onda Cero radio. “We spoke with him and his agent.
“But it’s true that the situation became complicated because there are many strong and powerful clubs that got involved and we saw that there was no longer that possibility.
“There are many clubs, some in Spain, also Inter (Milan) and Monaco who are behind him. For us it was an option that we later saw that it was not possible.”
09.30 GMT: Paris Saint-Germain striker Edinson Cavani is being circumspect about his future at the Parc des Princes, saying he would be happy to leave the club when his contract expires if there is no new deal forthcoming.
The Uruguay international, is committed to the Ligue 1 champions until June 2020, told Le Parisien: “There have been no contract talks yet. There is no communication regarding a new deal. If PSG want to speak with me about it, fine. However, it would also not be a problem if the club prefer to say ‘thank you very much for everything, goodbye.’ That is life.”
09.05 GMT: Atletico Madrid defender Diego Godin has reached a verbal agreement with Inter Milan and will join the Serie A club this summer, according to Cadena Ser.
Godin, who becomes a free agent at the end of the season, has reportedly agreed to a two-year-contract with Inter, with an option to extend it for a further year.
The 32-year-old — ranked at No. 3 among the world’s centre-backs in the ESPN FC 100 — has been a regular at Atletico in his nine years with the Madrid outfit.
Atletico offered him a one-year contract extension but the Uruguay international wanted a longer deal and has reportedly accepted a move to Inter, which will see him earn €5.5m per season.
08.45 GMT: Manchester United have joined Arsenal, Tottenham and Bayern Munich in the race for Roma winger Cengiz Under, sources have told ESPN FC.
Under, 21, will not leave Serie A in January, contrary to reports, but an end-of-season exit is being prepared for by his representatives — something that suits Arsenal, Spurs and Bayern who are unlikely to invest this month.
United, who are without a permanent manager, are also unlikely to sign players in January although caretaker manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will be consulted on potential moves.
08.25 GMT: Barcelona are considering signing Girona forward Christian Stuani, Cadena Cope reports.
Barca sold Munir El Haddadi to Sevilla this week and have turned their attention to the Uruguay player to bolster their attack.
The 32-year-old, who joined Girona from Middlesbrough in the summer of 2017, has made a huge impact this season, scoring 12 goals in 17 league appearances.
Stuani is tied to Girona until June 2020 and has a €15m release clause which Barca are reportedly prepared to pay.
Following Thiago Motta’s retirement last summer and Adrien Rabiot’s ongoing row with the club over his failure to sign a contract extension, PSG are seeking to reinforce their midfield. The French champions will have to spend €40m on Gueye.
PAPER TALK (by Matt Gault, Football Whispers)
Solskjaer now favourite for United job
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer‘s faultless start to life in the Manchester United dugout has moved him ahead of Mauricio Pochettino in the running to replace Jose Mourinho on a permanent basis.
According to The Sun, United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward has been “hugely impressed” by the ease with which the Norwegian has seemingly breathed new life into the club after his appointment on an interim basis in December.
Woodward reportedly visited the away dressing room to congratulate Solskjaer after he led United to a 1-0 win over Tottenham at Wembley.
With six wins in a row, the 45-year-old has quickly won over players, fans and members of the boardroom and has thrown a spanner in the works by greatly surpassing Woodward’s expectations.
Chelsea slap £100m price tag on Hazard
Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri is keen for Hazard to make a decision on his future but it’s unclear if the Belgian is still a top target for the European champions.
The 28-year-old is out of contract at Stamford Bridge in 2020 but the Blues believe they can demand a premium fee for him given his status as one of Europe’s most talented players.
As per the report, Madrid may use Mateo Kovacic‘s potential permanent move to Chelsea as part of the deal, with the Croatian currently on season-long loan in London.
However, it’s unlikely that Real could finance deals for both Hazard and Christian Eriksen, with the Tottenham playmaker also high on the Spanish giants’ list of targets.
Conflicting reports on Chelsea target Paredes
Staying with the Blues, the club have been told they must up their offer for Zenit Saint Petersburg midfielder Leandro Paredes.
According to the Daily Mail, Chelsea’s opening offer for the Argentine was £26.8m but it will take £36m to seal the 24-year-old’s signature.
However, the Daily Mirror say the move is much closer to completion, with the player set to move after agreeing terms.
Sarri is keen to bolster his midfield after losing Cesc Fabregas to Monaco. Though Cagliari’s Nicolo Barella has also been linked, the Mirror claim the 21-year-old is not keen on upping sticks mid-season.
De Gea wants £300,000-a-week to stay at United
Negotiations between the goalkeeper’s representatives and United are ongoing but the Spaniard’s demands are a significant leap from the £200,000 he currently earns on a weekly basis.
A four-time United player of the season, De Gea reaffirmed his importance to the club with a starring display in the 1-0 over Spurs at Wembley.
Football Whispers’ top emerging whispers
Football Whispers’ transfer algorithm gives the likelihood of rumours happening a score out of five.
Fernando Llorente to Barcelona — 2.8
The Spaniard remains on the the Catalan side’s radar. Barca are in the market for a back-up option for Luis Suarez with Munir El Haddadi set to leave the Camp Nou this month. The reigning La Liga champions are keen to bring in a replacement immediately and Llorente, 33, may be open to a move having worked under Ernesto Valverde at Athletic Bilbao.
Fraser Forster to Leeds United — 3.2
The Championship leaders are increasingly confident of finalising a move for the Southampton keeper, who has fallen down the pecking order at Saint Mary’s. Forster, who joined the Premier League side from Celtic in 2014, is behind Alex McCarthy and Angus Gunn at the Saints and may view a move to Elland Road as the chance to revive his career.
Ismaila Sarr to Arsenal — 1.3
The Gunners have stepped up their interest in the exciting Rennes winger. The 20-year-old has impressed in France this season with five goals and two assists and would add electrifying pace to the Arsenal ranks. However, with Unai Emery ruling out the possibility of signing players on a permanent basis in the current window, it’s unlikely the club will move for the Senegal international until the summer.
Marouane Fellaini to AC Milan — 2.4
Having lost his place at Manchester United, the Belgian could be on his way to Italy. The divisive Belgian, who is under contract at Old Trafford until 2020, is interesting the Rossoneri, who have been hit by injuries this season and lost out on long-time target Cesc Fabregas to Monaco.
Victor Moses to Crystal Palace — 3.1
The Eagles are interested in signing Moses on loan with the Nigerian not featuring in Sarri’s plans at Stamford Bridge. The 28-year-old enjoyed a run in the Blues first-team under Antonio Conte but has managed just 28 minutes of Premier League action under his the Italian’s compatriot and successor.