Real Madrid lose appeal against Bellingham’s Valencia ban

Real Madrid‘s appeal to overturn the two-match ban handed to Jude Bellingham has been dismissed by the Spanish Football Federation’s Competition Committee.

Bellingham, LaLiga‘s leading scorer with 16 goals, will miss Sunday’s league game against Celta Vigo and the clash at Osasuna on March 16.

Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga, more (U.S.)

The England midfielder was handed a two-game ban following his red card for protesting the referee’s decision to blow the final whistle moments before he found the net for a late winner in Saturday’s 2-2 draw at Valencia.

The referee’s report claimed Bellingham had shown an “aggressive attitude” and repeatedly shouted “it’s a f—ing goal.”

Bellingham, who joined Madrid last summer from Borussia Dortmund, considered the two-game ban “a bit ridiculous” and said that “because I’m new [to the league], they [referees] want to make an example [of me].”

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti has defended Bellingham. “He’s a player who gives everything on the pitch,” the Italian said earlier this week.

“He’s doing well. I think what happened with the red card was a mistake. The truth is he was frustrated, but he didn’t say any insults.”

League leaders Real Madrid go into Sunday’s game against Celta seven points clear of Girona in second place.