Sporting Kansas City 3-3 Portland Timbers (Apr 7, 2024) Game Analysis

Eric Miller scored the first goal of his 11-year MLS career in the 81st minute and the Portland Timbers recovered from a three-goal deficit to record a 3-3 tie with Sporting Kansas City on Sunday afternoon in Kansas City, Kan.

Evander and Felipe Mora also had second-half goals for the Timbers (2-3-2, 8 points), who are winless over their last four matches (0-3-1).

Willy Agada scored two goals and Dany Rosero added one for Sporting Kansas City (2-1-4, 10 points), who dominated the first half before their level of play dropped. Sporting KC is 2-1-1 over their last four matches.

Still, Sporting KC extended their home unbeaten stretch against the Timbers to nine regular-season matches (4-0-5).

Tim Melia had five saves for SKC, while Portland’s Maxime Crepeau made three. SKC had a 16-10 edge in shots but the Timbers put more on target (8 to 6).

The Timbers were outshot 10-1 during a lethargic first half but awoke just before the 20-minute mark of the second half.

Portland began the comeback with two goals in a three-minute stretch to move within 3-2.

The first tally came after Portland earned a penalty kick when Mora was knocked to the turf in the box by SKC’s Tim Leibold.

Evander stood at the spot in the 64th minute and easily sent a right-footer into the right portion of the net as Melia went the other direction. The goal was Evander’s third of the season.

Two minutes later, Jonathan Rodriguez fed the ball to Mora, who tapped it in to make it a one-goal game. It was Mora’s second goal of the season.

In the 81st minute, the Timbers got the equalizer. Cristhian Paredes‘ header was saved by Melia but the rebound went directly to Miller, who sent the ball into the net.

Agada scored his first goal in the 13th minute when he booted in a left-footed shot from outside the box.

SKC made it 2-0 in the 38th minute off a corner kick. Rosero was in front and knocked the ball into the net for his second goal of the season.

Agada scored his second goal in the third minute of first-half stoppage time. He received a short pass from Robert Voloder and knocked in a close-range right-footer for his third goal of the season.

Agada had a chance for the hat trick in the 60th minute after teammate Erik Thommy was taken down inside the box by Portland’s Claudio Bravo. Agada took the penalty kick but missed badly to the left of the net, opening the door for the Portland comeback.

–Field Level Media